Your inReach Device device can be used with a compatible iPad®, iPod®, or iPhone® to send text messages of 160 characters or less to SMS enabled phone numbers, e-mail addresses, Facebook, Twitter, or a MapShare page enabled from the user account at explore.garmin.com.
To test messaging on your device you may send a free message to firstname.lastname@example.org. You are provided with five free test messages to this address each month.
For a message from the Earthmate application to contain your GPS coordinates the settings of your iOS device need to have Location Services enabled. Click Here for instructions on how to enable Location Services in your iOS device,
Ensure the iOS device and the inReach unit are paired with one another:
- Click Here for instructions on how to pair an inReach (Original) to an iOS device.
- Click Here for instructions on how to pair an inReach SE or inReach Explorer to an iOS device.
- Click Here for instructions on how to pair an inReach SE+ or inReach Explorer+ to an iOS device.
Sending a Message
- Launch the Earthmate app from the home page of the iOS device.
- Tap the Message icon from the notification bar of Home or Messages pages.
- Tap the text box at the top of the screen and use the on-screen keyboard to type in the SMS number or e-mail address to be messaged. If entering an SMS number, use +(country code)(area code)(phone number). Example +14162536008.
Note: To use an e-mail or phone number from the contact list on the iOS device, tap the plus sign in the contact field and select the contact from the list.
- Tap the message box at the bottom of the screen and use the on-screen keyboard to type the message you wish to send.
Note: To use a QuickText message created and synced to the application from explore.garmin.com, tap the lightning bolt to the left of the message field and select the message from the list.
- Tap the Send button to send the message to the defined contacts.
- The message is sent when the icon appears next to the message. To see details of the message tap it.