The Garmin inReach system has been designed with the intent of the inReach device user having to initiate the first message to an email recipient or SMS destination number. This is why the inReach device does not have a dedicated email address or SMS number.
There are four ways to send a message to an inReach device user. Select the links below for instructions using each method.
Replying to an inReach SMS Message
1. View the received SMS Message.
2. Type in the text for your reply and send the message.
3. The next time the inReach device connects to the Iridium satellite network the device will receive the reply (by default, the inReach will check for new messages every 10 minutes).
Replying to an inReach E-mail Message
1. Select the link in the e-mail message received from the inReach device user to view the inReach location and full text of the e-mail message.
2. Type a reply to the inReach message in the Your reply: box.
3. When finished, select Send Message. The message will now be sent to the inReach.
4. The next time the inReach device connects to the Iridium satellite network the device will receive the reply (by default, the inReach will check for new messages every 10 minutes).
Sending a Message using inReach MapShare
IMPORTANT: To send a message to an inReach using a MapShare page, the owner of the inReach account must have enabled the MapShare feature and set the options to allow visitors to send messages. Instructions for enabling and configuring MapShare can be found here.
1. Navigate to the MapShare page for the inReach device.
2. Select the inReach device to send a message to.
3. Select Message from the menu bar.
4. In the Send Message window, enter your e-mail address or phone number and message.
5. When finished, press Send. The message will now be sent to the inReach.
6. The next time the inReach device connects to the Iridium satellite network the device will receive the reply.
Using inReach to inReach Messaging
Every inReach user account is assigned a unique inReach address for inReach-to-inReach messaging. If you have an inReach device you can send a message from your inReach to another inReach by using the inReach address for the recipient. An example inReach address is email@example.com.
The inReach address will only work for inReach-to-inReach communication, e-mails sent to the inReach address will not be delivered.
1. Obtain the inReach address for the inReach user to be messaged. To find the inReach address for an inReach account, follow the steps below.
1. Log in to the inReach account at explore.garmin.com.
2. Select the Account tab.
3. The inReach address can be found in the My Info section in the left hand column.
2. Using your inReach device, compose a reply. Instructions for sending a message via the inReach device can be found below: