Unexpected Error or Device Not Detected in inReach Sync on Mac
Mac Catalina 10.15 and Big Sur 11.0 and newer require permission to allow devices to connect with inReach Sync.
You may see a message that inReach Sync would like to access files on a removable volume.
- Clicking OK will allow inReach Sync to recognize the device.
- Clicking Don't Allow prevents inReach Sync from recognizing the device. This can be adjusted in the Security and Privacy settings on the computer if Don't Allow was accidentally selected.
If permission is not given or is disabled, you may see one or all of these messages:
- Error: An Unexpected Error Occurred
- Could not find a part of the path '/Volumes/ GARMIN/.fseventsd
If you see these messages, you will need to adjust your privacy settings.
Adjusting the Security and Privacy Settings
- Click the Apple icon.
- Click System Preferences.
- Click Security & Privacy.
- Click the Privacy tab.
- Click Files and Folders.
Click the box next to Removable Volumes for inReach Sync to add a checkmark.
If Garmin Express is not listed in the privacy tab under Files and Folders, try creating a new Admin user on the Mac or try using another computer.
If this option does not appear after creating the new Admin user, the Mac may need to be serviced.
- Click Quit Now if prompted to quit inReach Sync.
You may have to restart the computer after completing these steps for inReach Sync to detect the device.
If the issue persists, uninstall and reinstall inReach Sync.
Uninstalling inReach Sync
- In Finder, select the Go menu on the top menu bar.
- Select Applications.
- Find inReach Sync.
- Click and drag inReach Sync to the Trash Can to remove.
- Empty the Trash Can.
Once completed, re-download and install the inReach Sync program.