Note: This issue only affect iOS versions 7 and above. Android is unaffected.
When attempting to connect to Opera Mini from the Iridium Mail and Web app you may encounter the error message: "Failed to connect: Proxy refusing connection." If this occurs please try the following solution:
Solution: Disable specific apps and services
1) Ensure that “Data Savings’ mode is enabled on the Opera Mini browser
2) Disable iCloud, Dropbox, other commonly used services on the mobile device.
o Go to Settings > iTunes & App Stores and turn off Automatic downloads
for all apps. Also turn off iTunes Match.
o Go to Settings > iCloud and turn off Find my iPhone, and iCloud Backup
(within ‘Storage & Backup’ menu)
3) Disable Photo Stream on the mobile device
o Go to Settings > Photos & Camera and turn off My Photo Stream.
4) Disable any Social Media or Audio/Video conferencing apps such as Skype,
FaceTime within Settings on the mobile device
5) Disable Location Services on the mobile device. Steps to follow:
o Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services. Turn off location services
for all apps except Iridium GO! and Iridium Mail & Web apps.
o Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services and turn
off all options except Compass Calibration and Setting Time Zone
6) Enable only manual fetching of emails on the mobile device
o Go to Settings > Mails, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and turn off ‘Push’ option.
o Go to Settings > Mails, Contacts, Calendars > Fetch New Data and set ‘Fetch’ option to ‘Manually’.